Thomas Thorpe’s map of 1742 is one of the earliest maps of Warleigh. It shows the area to have been substantially wooded at that time. Warley Wood on the 1742 map is now known as Warleigh Home Wood, Farly in Wood is now Inwood and Warley in Woods is now Warleigh Wood.
No Mans Land was ever thus!
Interestingly, the road from Warleigh to Conkwell traversed the middle of Warleigh Wood at a gentle gradient, pre-dating the route of the current tarmacked Warleigh Lane which climbs steeply through the common to the plateau.
On reflection, the track through the wood does in places have the characteristics of a holloway, ie, sunken between banks after centuries of use. In other places it has been bulldozed for forestry operations.